Sunday, September 15, 2013

Our Week

We had a great week last week! It was our second color week. My students are loving learning about colors and they sing our color songs just about all the time. They ask to listen to the cd whenever they're working independently and I am happy to oblige! (Although I've had the orange song stuck in my head for 2 weeks...I usually skip that one and hope they don't notice ;) )

My class continues to impress me with their excitement and eagerness to learn. We've just been practicing rotating through centers. The work itself hasn't been challenging yet as they get used to our center schedule. I can tell that they're ready to get down to business, so I've spent my weekend planning fun work centers for this week. We'll start magnetic letters, retelling, patterning, beginning letter recognition, math, and writing centers. We'll keep using the library and puzzle centers but add more content to each.

I have a few pictures of my classroom pre-kindergarten chaos. The room looks more lived-in these days as we make needed adjustments. I love my classroom and my students do, too!












We started our writing groups last week! Each group chose a color name and I worked with each group during rest time. We had fun getting to know each other as writers and my students were so proud of their work. My mentor has been working with me to plan appropriate instruction which has been so helpful! Writing in kindergarten is a bit of a challenge, but we're getting in the groove. My students totally surprised me with their writing ability already. We're already talking about stretching words and recording the sounds we hear in a couple of my groups! They are all doing so well.

This coming week will bring our book fair and parent/teacher conferences. It's going to be a busy week, but I'm ready. Bring it on, kindergarten!

No comments:

Post a Comment