Sunday, September 22, 2013

Apple Week

Happy Apple Week! It's been a busy weekend getting ready for next week. We are going to be very busy learning all about apples and practicing matching beginning sounds, number sense, and counting 1-10. Our apple unit will include an apple investigation, taste testing apple snacks, and graphing our favorite color of apple. It's going to be such a fun week!

Now that my sweet kinders are familiar with how our center rotations work, I'm hoping to get a more structured schedule down this week. I think they're ready! They did such a great job last week with our academic centers rather than just play centers. I'm so proud of their hard work!

We're using Scrappin' Doodles A to Z clip art in a couple of different ways in our classroom this year. It's on our Word Wall and also being used in several centers. I couldn't find the recording sheet that I wanted for our Apple Beginning Sound Matching center, so I purchased the line art set and made the recording sheet myself. Amateur work for sure, but I'm pretty proud of myself! This is our beginning sound matching center this week. I love that it uses the same clip art as our word wall since our students are already familiar with those images.

Check out this freebie on TPT
In math, we'll continue working on counting objects to 5, writing numerals, and counting to 20. We're also going to start working with 5 frames this week as another way to organize and count objects. Our math center will be fine motor as well as counting. Students will roll playdoh into balls (apples) and place the correct number on the apple trees.

Check out this freebie on TPT
Our puzzle center will reinforce numeracy skills, as well. These fun apple number puzzles are printed, cut, and ready to go tomorrow! I printed some 1-5 and some 1-10 puzzles to differentiate. I love that this download has puzzles that count by 5s and 10s, too! I'll definitely be using those when we start working on those skills. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of recording sheet I'm going to use, but it will be something with tracing/writing their numbers 1-10.
Check out this freebie on TPT
We'll still have our writing center, big book center, and library center. I'll also introduce our pocket chart center. They'll retell the story of Brown Bear, Brown Bear and read our poem about our families from last week.

Our laminator at school is still broken. I'll take all of my centers to Coleman's after school this week so that I can reuse these centers next year. It's been a lot of work to get centers ready each week, but I know that it'll be worth it next year when I can just pull out all of our centers without much prep time.

I have never been this busy or exhausted on weekends, but I am so thankful for my job and my precious class. I love this stage of life that I'm in right now and I wouldn't trade it for anything! Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment