Sunday, September 8, 2013

Book Orders!

I sent home my first book orders of the year last Friday and have loved sharing some of the books with my students this week. They are all so excited! For every order, we get books for our classroom, too!! Scholastic Book Orders are a great way to grow a personal or classroom library because the books are SO affordable and the quality is excellent.

My favorite thing about my classroom this year is my library...and my kids love it, too! (i'll upload pictures of this fun space in our classroom next week) I love their excitement when it's their turn to read in our library. They love to share their books with me and show me the cool things that they find. I have a lot of books in our classroom library, but I always love to add new books. Several of my parents have already placed online orders (thank you!!) and I have been picking out new books to add to our library with the bonus points.

At our school, students can't check books out of our library until 2nd grade. Later this Fall, I will be allowing students to check books out of my library to take home. I want my kids to be able to take books home to read with their parents. When they're excited about reading, they're more motivated and parental involvement is a HUGE part of early reading success. Any books ordered with bonus points from Scholastic will go straight to my students' library for them to read at school and to take home.

I have also started a Classroom Book Wish List on Scholastic. If you would be interested in ordering books for my students, you can log on to https://clubs2.scholastic.com and enter our class code (MCYF4). You'll have to enter a student name...I think you should just be able to enter my name so that there is no confusion when the books come in. There's an option to look at our class wish list when you click on Teacher Recommendations (my students get to pick out books for our wish list, too!) and place an order. I'll be submitting our order next Friday and plan to send book orders home each month.

Access to print is one of the most important factors in reading success and my goal is for my classroom to be a place where all of my students learn to love reading. I try to have a variety of texts available so that all of my students can find a book that they love and are excited about. I have already shared one of my "special" books from my shelf about bugs with one of my boys because he loved the book in our library. He loves looking at it when it's his turn at the library center and that enthusiasm is what I LOVE about Kindergarten! As the year progresses, I plan to continue to share "my" books with my students. They think it's so fun when I get a book off of the high shelf for them. This is the kind of joy that I hope to instill in my students this year.

Parents: Remember that Friday is the last day to order books online or to send forms back to school with your child. Thank you for ordering and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment