Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Peek at our Listening and Pocket Chart Centers

You may remember that we recently got our listening center FUNDED through donorschoose.org. It is one of the favorite centers in our room! Scholastic offers a Listening Library for each grade through their book orders and I have ordered the November and December libraries so far. They come with four books and the cd to go along with each book. DeeDee Wills created a reading response unit to go along with each month's library and they have been the perfect addition to my listening center! The books are typically between 5 and 8 minutes long and then my students have 8-10 minutes to complete their responses. We are loving them so far!

Check it out on TPT
 November books include: Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson, Prairie Chicken Little by Jackie Mims Hopkins, Turkey Claus by Wendi Silvano, and Snowmen at Work by Carolyn Buehner.

Check it out on TPT
 December books include: Snowman Magic by Katherine Tegen, A Pirate's Twelve Days of Christmas by Philip Yates, The Gingerbread Bear by Robert Dennis, and Polar Opposites by Erik Brooks

Here are two of my sweet boys reading/listening to Bear Says Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of our pocket chart center in action. I've used several different units for this center but my favorite by FAR is Miss Kindergarten's Word Cards. I printed and cut all of the Fall cards and it was a huge hit! The vocab words each have a picture on the card, which helps my non-readers. There are also a bunch of sight words that allow my students to build sentences in the pocket chart. I love that they feel so successful when they can create and read sentences! I bought the winter cards last week and I can't wait to trade out the cards in our center box. My students are going to be beside themselves! 

Last month, I totally slacked off and didn't put any of the writing practice pages out, but I think most of my students are ready for that aspect of this center. I'll introduce it when we get back from break and I think they'll really enjoy that, as well! I'm pretty sure that I spend the majority of my income on Miss Kindergarten's products on TPT and it is totally worth it. I basically want to be her when I grow up...but in the meantime, I'll just use her amazing products with my kiddos!

Check it out on TPT
Check it out on TPT
I just love sharing all of our centers with you! I am not kidding when I say that centers are every single one of my students' favorite parts of Kindergarten. We follow the same schedule every day and they STILL start asking when we're doing centers as soon as the walk in the door! At least I know that they're learning and practicing skills while they're having fun. We may get the week off, but I'm still getting a lot of work done. It's a good thing I have the sweetest, most appreciative class ever ;) Enjoy your Tuesday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment