Sunday, October 27, 2013

Donors Choose!

I've had a project on Donors Choose for about a month now. I'm hoping to get a listening center funded for my classroom. So far, I have had several very generous donations and I'm getting close to having my project completely funded! I'm only about $120 away.

Last week, I decided to go ahead and post another project that I'd been thinking about working towards. Once a project is posted, you have four months to get it funded. My reading table in my classroom is horseshoe shaped, which makes it hard to get group work done. The table is really skinny and my students can't have all of their materials out at once. I can only work with 4 kids at a time right now, and even then it's a stretch to have their materials and my materials on the table. I love having that space in my room, but I was hoping to get a kidney table for my room to maximize our space. I submitted the project and it was approved a few days later. I wasn't going to start sharing that project until I got my listening center funded............and this is the miracle story of how I got my table :)

First, I got an email saying that Quill.com, the website that I ordered the table from, was offering a match grant for a limited time. Immediately, half of the cost of my table was covered.

For the first 7 days that a project is posted on Donors Choose, a donor will match donations up to $100. As a result, I only needed to raise a little over $100 to get an almost $500 table for my classroom.

When I got the email saying that my project had been funded, I assumed that it was my listening center. Until I opened the email. And realized that it was my brand new table project that had been fully funded. I about lost my mind. My kids were so funny about it. They had literally no idea what I was even talking about, but they were so excited because I was so excited. They were jumping up and down! It was priceless! They've asked about our table every day and don't really understand why we don't have it yet, but it will make our lives so much easier! We'll be able to work in reading and writing groups every day and I won't have to worry about space!

Our table was fully funded by a man from Boston who is originally from the town where I teach. I am so thankful that he found my project and chose my classroom to support. My students are going to benefit so much from his donation!!!

Donors Choose is an incredible charity that makes it possible for teachers like me to raise funds for materials for our classrooms. I have donated to several projects on there myself and it's very true that every dollar counts. You can search for projects by location, type of project, etc. It's a great way to support teachers in a very tangible way.

Have you had a project funded on Donors Choose? Do you have a project posted now? I would love to check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment